Welcome to Summerside.ca – Official Site of the Municipal Government
Last item for navigation
Signage Permit

Development permits are issued for commercial and temporary signage and seasonal buildings in the form of a building permit.

Commercial Signage

Applications for commercial sign permits should be made to the Development Officer. You will need to also include:

  • scaled drawings showing the type, number, siting, structural dimensions, sign areas, and general appearance of all proposed signs
  • dimensions and siting of any existing commercial signs within the same signage property and identification of those which are to be retained
  • any other information and documentation required by the Development Officer
  • payable fees as set out in Schedule A of the Zoning Bylaw

Property owners are responsible for the safe construction and maintenance of all signs on their lots.

Temporary Signage

Up to two temporary signs may be allowed on a signage property in any commercial or industrial zone for either of the following purposes:

  • to substitute for permanent signage up to 30 days on one occasion in any 12-month period
  • to advertise a business opening or closing sale up to 15 days on one occasion in any 12-month period.

Up to three temporary signs (sited more than 1km apart) may be allowed on street right-of-ways (ROWs) or on other private properties with owner consent for up to 90 days on one occasion in any 12-month period for either of the following purposes:

  • public information signs with no commercial message advertising charitable fundraising, City-organized sports events, or other annual community events
  • subject to Council’s prior consent, signs advertising occasional commercial events sponsored wholly or in part by the City

Application for a temporary sign permit should be made to the Development Officer. As part of your application, please include a description of the proposed signs and the period they will be in place.

To see fees for signage permits, click here.

For more information, please contact:

Linda Stevenson
[email protected]
City of Summerside, 275 Fitzroy Street, Summerside, PE Canada

Related City Documents

Fees for Permits and Development 
Commercial Sign Permit Information
Summerside Zoning Bylaw
Sign Application

City of Summerside | All Rights Reserved | Powered by CivicLive | © 2024 Civiclive.