Welcome to Summerside.ca โ€“ Official Site of the Municipal Government
Last item for navigation
Building, Renovating or Demolition Permit

As of March 31, 2020, the Province has enacted the Building Codes Act and Regulations. The Act brings in the 2015 National Building Code (NBC) and the 2017 National Energy Code of Canada for Buildings. Outside of Summerside, the codes will apply to all buildings immediately with exception of Single-Family Houses, Semi-Detached Houses (Side-by-Side Duplex) and buildings and structures related to the two housing types (Decks, Garages, Sheds) which will fall under the Act and Code requirements on March 31, 2021. In Summerside, the structures exempted by the Province will continue to be allowed to be designed using the 2010 NBC or the 2015 NBC until March 31, 2021.

Link to the Act & Regulations:


Before you Build or Renovate…

You must obtain a building permit before you:

  • Construct a new building over twenty square metres in area or place a structure, such as a shed or a mobile home, on your property (To ensure compliance with zoning regulations, it is highly recommended you submit a site plan for review prior to placing your structure. There is no fee for this service.)
  • Make renovations, alter, or add to an existing building
  • Excavate or construct a foundation
  • Construct or place a seasonal building, deck, porch, fence, or pool
  • Change the usage of a building from one classification group to another as defined by the National Building Code


You do not need a building permit for the following repairs and renovations to a single family, semi-detached, or duplex dwelling:

  • replacement or repair of roofing
  • replacement or repair of siding
  • installation of storm windows, storm doors, eavestroughing, and downspouts
  • replacement or repair of surface flooring
  • replacement or repair of interior surface finishes
  • landscaping (including paving)
  • replacement or repair of non-structural building elements where the value of the work is less than $1,000

Contact the Technical Services department if you have any questions about when a building permit may be required.

Where to get a building permit application

You can get an application for a building permit from the Technical Services office located on the 3rd floor at City Hall at 275 Fitzroy Street or you may complete an electronic version . It's a good idea to talk with Technical Services staff before you apply. They can discuss with you what information, drawings, and plans you'll have to include with your application and whether you'll need any other permits or approvals.

Note: Building permit applications are submitted to the City and not to the provincial government.

When you apply for your building permit, you'll have to submit drawings, plans, and other required documents. Building permit fees are paid once the permit is approved. Incomplete applications or plans will delay the permit application review and the issuance of a permit.

Applications and plans can be submitted to the Technical Services department on the third floor of City Hall, 275 Fitzroy Street.

Once all required documentation has been submitted and the permit application is approved, you’ll be contacted to pick up your permit placard at the Technical Services Department. When you pick up the placard, you’ll sign the completed application form and review and sign any documents related to conditions applied to the Building Permit. Any fees related to the project must be paid at this point.

The property owner is usually required to sign the permit application. If the owner would like to designate signing authority to someone else, a Designation of Agent form is required to be completed prior to issuing the Building Permit.

The permit placard is required to be placed in a location where it is visible from the street.

For more information, please contact:

Cindy Hierlihy
[email protected]
City of Summerside, 275 Fitzroy Street, Summerside, PE Canada

Related City Documents

Building Permit Application
Sign Permit Application
City of Summerside Building Bylaw
Fees for Permits and Development
Technical Services Forms and Applications

City of Summerside | All Rights Reserved | Powered by CivicLive | © 2024 Civiclive.