Welcome to Summerside.ca โ€“ Official Site of the Municipal Government
Last item for navigation
Deck, Fence or Swimming Pool Permit

All permits require a Building Permit Application and a Site Plan showing where the item will be placed in relation to your property lines.


Decks require a Deck Permit application in addition to the building permit and site plan.
A permit is required for your deck if:

  • you are adding to an existing deck
  • you are repairing a deck over 2’ in height for a single-family dwelling

In addition to a permit, there are several instances where a foundation is required when building/repairing decks:

  • If your deck is more than one storey
  • If your deck is more than 55 square metres (592 square feet)
  • If your deck supports a roof
  • If your deck is attached to another structure

Foundations may consist of a concrete wall or concrete piers, extending a minimum depth of 4’ from finish grade and include a footing. Column base hardware connections are required to connect wood points to concrete piers.

You can use deck blocks when:

  • the deck is not attached to the house
  • the deck is less than 55 square metres (592 square feet)
  • the distance from the finished ground to the top of the deck is not more than 760mm (30”) at any point


You will need a building permit for a fence; however, there is no cost to obtain this permit. Please include with your application a copy of a site plan showing your property lines, buildings, and the proposed fence.
Partition Fence
A partition fence in a residential zone shall not exceed 2 m (6.5 ft) in height.  A partition fence shall not exceed 0.75 m (2.4 ft) in height along a front lot line, or along a side lot line within the minimum required front yard, with the exception of a transparent fence.

Privacy Fence
A privacy fence in a residential zone shall not exceed 4 m (13.1ft.) in height, providing it meets the same yard development standards as the main building.

Ornamental Fence
An ornamental fence in a residential zone shall not exceed 2 m (6.5 ft) in height or 3m (9.8 ft) in length, providing it does not impede the site triangle of the property driveway or the driveway of a neighbouring property.

City right of way/Corner lots:
No building, or fence or vegetation or any other structure over 0.75 m (2.4 ft) in height shall be located on a corner lot within a site triangle measured 6 m (19.6 ft) from the intersection of the lot line, excepting special allowances for buildings in a D zone and a transparent fence. In cases were lot lines are not evident, the Development Officer will calculate the lot line locations. The height of a fence or vegetation shall be measured from the nearest road grade.Fences and shrubs must be below 0.75m (2.5ft) in height and cannot be in the City's right of way (including curbs and sidewalks).

Swimming Pools

A building permit is required to have a swimming pool in your yard; however, there is no cost to obtain this permit.

To ensure the safety of all our residents, you should be aware of the regulations regarding swimming pools. All outdoor swimming pools, or the yard in which a swimming pool is located, shall be completely enclosed so as to prevent uncontrolled access. Specific regulations can be found in the City of Summerside Pool Regulations document below.

To see what the fees are for various building permits, click here

For more information, please contact:

Cindy Hierlihy
[email protected]

City of Summerside, 275 Fitzroy Street, Summerside, PE Canada C1N 1H9

Related City Documents

Building Permit Form
Development Application
Deck Permit Application Information
Pool Regulations
Technical Services Forms and Applications

Related External Links

Canadian Red Cross Backyard Pools
City of Summerside | All Rights Reserved | Powered by CivicLive | © 2024 Civiclive.