Welcome to Summerside.ca โ€“ Official Site of the Municipal Government
Electrical Servicing for a New Home

Your New House Plans

By letting the City of Summerside know what electrical services you will need for your new home construction, our staff can help you make the construction of your new home a smooth process.

Criteria For Setting Up a New Service

The following are the questions we will ask when you’re setting up electrical service:

  • Have you contacted the Technical Services Department to understand the building permit process?
  • Do you have a building permit number? If so, what is it?
  • Do you have power service with us now?
  • What name should be on your electrical account for billing purposes?
  • Who will be paying the charges?
  • Who is your electrician?
  • What is the location of the service?
  • Is the lot staked where the building will be?
  • Will you need both temporary and permanent service?
  • What type of service are you setting up today?
  • Are you going to have electric heat? 100 or 200 amp service? Single or 3 phase?
  • Are you having overhead or underground power lines?

Helpful Hints

  • Contact us early into the construction planning process.
  • Always use the name under which your new account will be set up. This will prevent duplications and result in a more efficient planning effort.
  • An accurate description of the location of the new home is essential. This should include the street address and lot number. Residents of rural areas should give their civic address.

Ask your Electrician

Know the Answer to the following Questions! Your electrician can help answer them:

  • Will you need both temporary and permanent service?
  • Is there a power line currently running by your property?
  • How far is your home from the power line?
  • What size of electrical entrance are you planning?
  • Are you planning to have underground facilities?
  • Have your electrical contractor arrange for a “Wiring Permit” through the Electrical Inspection Division of the Department of Community Affairs. For safety reasons, Summerside Electric requires the approved wiring permit to schedule your service for connection.

Process Steps:

  1. Get a building permit number from Technical Services.
  2. Coordinate your build through your electrical contractor or professional engineer who will coordinate with us. Understand the costs for this electrical service up front from your electrical contractor or professional engineer.
  3. Make sure your electrical contractor obtains an electrical pass/permit and send it in to us.
  4. Visit City Hall to set up an account for your meter installation or service. Make sure you leave City Hall with an account number for this service and ask them to send it to Summerside Electric.

For more information, contact:

Greg Gaudet 
[email protected] 

Related City Documents:

Electric Rates, Schedule & Policy Manual
Building or Renovating a Home

Related External Links:

Electrical Work in PEI

City of Summerside | All Rights Reserved | Powered by CivicLive | © 2023 Civiclive.